Saturday, May 23, 2009

Saturday PM


Picked up AJ at the train station in Utica last night and ate at Frank's NY Pizzeria. Lots to catch up on. Came home at 10 to find a pair of tiny red buck twins at the east end of the barn with their mom, Tess, a wildish black doe. It was apparent she had been feeding them, and since she had been shorn the kids were finding the teat just fine. We tried to catch mom and get her in the pen but no deal. There was no catching her and we were bushed. When Matt crashed his head into a beam the chase was over. I caught the babies and dipped their cords and let them go. Mom gathered them up. Ordinarily I would give mom lots of TLC, molasses and water, corn, extra hay, etc. I can also check to make sure mom is doing her job. But this time mom is on her own. Up early for the farmer's market. Lots of work to set up but the day was lovely and I saw a lot of people. Always gratifying to see folks appreciating my work. AJ took walks around Hamilton exploring coffeeshops and the Colgate bookstore. I had the pop-up sunscreen up and bought a lovely pot of blue lobelias to hang on the pipes. Lots of people looking at my farm photo notecards today. There's a rug hooker set up at the market now. Oh, her work is amazing. I've always wanted to hook. I bought the equipment years ago, then moved too many times, then sheep. Can't do it all, but I'd love to try. Came home and let the sheep out. Monkey is loose with her buck kid but prefers to stay in the barn with him. It's warm, humid and black clouds are rolling in. If rain comes the sheep will run back into the barn. Hope they get enough to eat first.

1 comment:

Henya said...

Glad you had a good day at the market. I hope you have a nice visit with AJ.