Monday, May 25, 2009

A Farm Story


Matt went to bed after taking his new medicine. I don't mind doing chores alone, as I am never alone with my four footed friends. Some are more friendly than others. My sheep and goats are just like people, with many different personalities. I play music in the barn and it helps me work. I let the flock (meaning sheep, goats and one llama) out to graze and sat on a chair to watch them. I had been sewing all afternoon and was berating myself for not being outside in this glorious weather. Well, I got my outside time, leaning back in the folding chair and taking in the sun and breeze. You just can't beat this weather and I know it won't be like this in August. I had the dogs with me, two of them on leashes, and decided to walk up the big hill and around the pond in the upper meadow. It's a climb, but the dogs pulled me along. Buttercups covered the field and the breeze made ripples on the pond. As we walked I heard the plop and splashing of frogs jumping in to get away from us. A little band of goats ran ahead of us through the tall grass. It was heavenly. I made my way down, careful not to step in ground hog holes. I wasn't following the path I usually use, which is free of pitfalls. My land is a hill full of little hills. Perfect for goats, but tricky for humans with two legs and bad ankles. I went back in the barn, satisfied I had my exercise for the day, but watchful of the flock out the window. Sure enough, the phone rang and it was Sister Grace, very annoyed and snappy. "Your animals are eating my lilacs, would you PLEASE lock up your livestock!" Yes, Sister, I'll get them right away. I ran out the barn door and there they were - Chris my big red llama, Monkey, her baby kid, and Thunder. Those lilacs were hard to resist, hanging over the fence. Sister Bernadette was also home from the convent this weekend. Their yard is very overgrown and full of dandelions on steriods. You would think they could use a trim from my critters. I wouldn't even charge them...but no deal. Just an "order" to get them back on my side. Anyhow, it was getting dark and I thought I better start rounding up the flock and get them inside the pen adjacent to the barn. I took Izzie with me, who was very enthusiastic tonight. We walk up the big hill and around the furthermost animals and drive them down. Everybody came along nicely, but a little fast. It wasn't until we got in the pen and I had tied the door shut that I saw Tess looking back up the hill. Where were her baby twins? My heart sank when I realized they were left behind in the stampede. I opened the gate and tried to get Tess back out the door. She is rather wild and very suspicious of anything having to do with humans. The harder I tried to get around the back of her and drive her out, the more she ran in the barn, screaming for her babies. I decided to go find them myself. I put Izzie in the house for fear of him spooking the babies when I found them...but I couldn't find them at all. Up and down the little hills in the big hill. I had two lights with me, but it was dusk and I did better without them, just using my eyes in the dim light. I quickly realized this was useless. I tried making goat sounds, then listening. Mom was still calling her frantic goat call, but she was so far away her cries did not come up the big hill. I trekked back down with an idea. I got in the pen and herded all the sheep and goats in the barn. I picked up the fence length I use to keep them in and started blocking the door. I knew Tess would not want to be locked in the barn when her babies were still outside. Sure enough, she darted out. Everyone else was in and Tess was out. I disappeared out the other end of the barn and watched from afar. A thin crescent moon had come out and a pink glow burned from behind the western mountains. Tess tiptoed up the hill to the pen gate, looking up into the distance. I knew she could find those babies. It took a lot of courage for her to leave the safety of the flock and the barn and venture up that hill in the dark to find her babies, but up she went...tentatively at first then faster. I followed her in the dark, keeping far back. Then I saw a dark figure coming down the hill. I couldn't make it out, was there a light colored dot behind her? My heart sang when I saw two tiny dots running beside her. A mother's love prevailed! She took them into the pen and I quickly closed the gate. I got a bucket of corn and put it near her but she wouldn't come near it until I left. What have I ever done to her to make her so skittish? If I succeeded in catching her the day the kids were born it would avoid all this excitement. But all's well that ends well on the farm. I am bushed. One more barn check and I'm calling it a day.

3 comments:

Henya said...

What a nice evening. I am glad Tess found her babes.

Anonymous said...

i'm so happy that they are safe!!

Cornerstone Fibres said...

What a great mom and so brave too!!!