Thursday, May 14, 2009

Another Horsewoman in My Life


I had a note from an old friend from Morristown, Sherry. She and I attended St. Elizabeth College together. She was a sociology major and I was history, taking a daily flogging from a psycho department head. I shudder to think of that chapter of my life now but I got my degree and was out of there. Sherry had much more fun. Water under the bridge. But anyway...Sherry was on the CSE Equestrian Team and I would go to events and watch her ride. She's a tiny little thing but she could get on any big giant horse and make him do her bidding. AND Sherry owned her own horse...a life-long dream of mine, still unfulfilled. One day in class Sherry turned and said to me, look, my mother is going to tie my dog to a stake in the middle of the highway - can I move in with you? Sure, I said. We've been friends ever since. I asked Sherry to move up here to the wilds of Central New York and manage my farm for me. She said, no way am I moving to that freezing cold ice box you had the bad sense to buy a farm in. I said, okay, see you around. Well, I just got an email saying Sherry is coming up here to ride in an endurance event! You see, Brookfield is famous for it's hundred miles of state-maintained horse trails. Sherry wondered if that was anywhere near me and I said yes! Three miles!! So I will have a visit from my old friend in July, and her little Arab mare. July weather is a little warmer around here so we should be okay. Wish I could talk her into staying! While I was at the farmer's market on Saturday I thought I would give Libby Llop a call. No answer. I thought, that's funny, Libby always carries her cell around the farm. Well, I find out later in the week Libby was on an endurance ride in the Alleghany Mountains. No wonder she couldn't answer the phone. Libby and her Fly are now 1st and 6th in the nation!! Her son was in the same race with Mabel, a mare they are training for endurance. Mabel timed out at the 42nd mile. I can't imagine hanging on to a horse for 42 miles, or the hundred that Libby does. I think I would forget to breathe and just fall off. That's what seperates the riders from the admirers.

1 comment:

Henya said...

Maggie, you have such wonderful friends! I love horses, but have never rode one. and a 100 miles?.. Can not imagine it too.
.