Friday, March 20, 2009

The Vernal Equinox


Matt keeps saying "we made it through another winter!" but I don't feel relieved just yet. I still have to build up the fire before I go to bed, stoke it once in the middle of the night, and stir the coals first thing when I get up. Winter lasts until May here, just 200 miles from the Canadian border. Two years ago I had a baby goat, born just outside the barn door on April 17th, freeze to death before I got home from work...very sobering indeed. I still have to suit up in the morning to go out into the barn. Soon I'll be wandering out there, coffee cup in hand, in my jammies. Venus is no longer prominently displayed in the eastern sky burning brightly, like the Star of Bethlehem. Last night she was on the horizon, still glowing, but dimmed by the last remnants of sunset at 8:30 at night. I'm looking forward to the wild flowers coming up along the roadside. I can follow a line of blue cornflowers all the way into Brookfield. Hannah and Luke are coming June 25. Eric already purchased the tickets. I'll have my grandchildren all to myself. Bonfires every night, climbing on the haystacks, swimming in the pond and creek, and pajama parties every night. Hannah will go out to the chicken room, collect eggs and make me breakfast every morning. I'm scheming to get a horse or pony for them if I can find a "free to good home" who is safe for kids. I already have a good saddle. Oh, I can't wait.

2 comments:

Henya said...

.We used to live in Lowville, I remember coming to Brooklyn in April and being shocked that the trees were in bloom. On the other hand it is snowing really hard now.

Annie said...

Hi Maggie! You can't believe how much the kids are looking forward to coming to Omi's Farm! And thankyouthankyouthankyou for the wonderful birthday box that came in the mail yesterday! The new bag is gorgeous--I got to show it off today to Nathania and Sylvia at Purlescence (I took the afternoon off and went to the yarn store!). Keep us posted on Chris!