Monday, March 02, 2009

It's Soooo Cold


The wind is awful in our little valley. So cold and raw. We missed the foot of snow the coastal storm dumped on the east coast. Don't know how we got so lucky. I knew better than to start the fire this morning as the downdrafts would be awful. Not sure that was a good idea. When I got home at 5 the stove was ice cold, the pipe frozen, and no matter how much kindling and paper I used - with the propane starter - black smoke poured out of the stove. Took a half hour to get it going, with the doggies waiting to go out. When I finally got them out Pip's new, longer leash got tangled around my legs and I dropped the loop. He's somewhere out there in this frigid weather dragging that line. If it gets caught he will be a Pipsicle. Got the bottles mixed and will get some water out to the sheep before I start dinner. Had to stop and get something in New Berlin. This grocery thing is ridiculous. Tired after a long day and I'm hauling bags up the milk room steps, through the barn, dodging sheep and cats, into the apartment. All my life I've spent too much money on food. My kids grew up big and strong, thankfully, but now I've got a great big kid who likes his delicious, nutritious hot meal served up every night, piping hot, with some variety, lots of greens, and not too much chicken. Whoops, I hope that wasn't a snarky remark. Better get out to the sheep. They are even more thirsty when it's bitter cold like this. It's the dryness of the air I think. More steriod and ivermectin for Chris tonight. I can get one shot in him if Matt holds his neck and I lean him into the wall with my body, while parting the thick hair and finding the right bare spot behind his front leg. I got the Dexamethesone into him yesterday alright but he jumped and stomped with the second shot, the ivermectin, which would kill the parasite in his spine, hopefully, and the needle came out without getting the whole barrel in. Have to repeat it tonight. Please, someone, just shoot me now. (Not the llama, just shoot me.)

1 comment:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Any news on Pip? Sending up good thoughts and vibes to the great universe and beyond :)
HUGS
Kim and crew