Saturday, January 10, 2009

Wintery Grip



AJ and Matt got hay in while I went to Waterville to get feed. The roads were covered and it was really cold, but no sign of the big storm yet. We decided to get cleaned up and go to see Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino in New Hartford. It was a terrific movie, and really touched a cord in us, as pre-politically correct baby boomers. The theater was so crowded we couldn't sit together, so Matt found a seat away from us. I knew I'd find him weepy at the end, and I did. He and I could both relate to the main character, the bigoted and hateful racist neighbor of the Hmong family who gave his life for their son in the end. We were still teary in the line at Panera. After coffee at B&N we took the young lieutenant to the Utica train station. We went in to make sure his train was coming, and were amazed at the beauty of the building. Great marble columns and heated wooden seats built to hold hundreds of passengers. There is an old-fashioned barber shop adjacent to the waiting room. The station must have been built when Utica was in it's heyday. We said goodbye to AJ and motored back to the farm just as the snow started. It's real cold and getting colder. Another storm is predicted for Tuesday. The sheep are cozy in the barn and happy as long as I get them plenty of hay and fresh water. Larry, Lester and Levi are doing fine. Last year's bottle babies are jealous when they see me feeding the boys, and try to knock the bottles out of my hands. They remember how delicious the warm milk was. I called AJ who was still on the train, as it was delayed even later. When he gets to NYC he has to take another train to Grand Central Station then catch one more to Crestwood in Yonkers where the seminary is. I miss him and wish he could have stayed longer. Sure is good to have an extra pair of hands around here.

No comments: