Monday, January 05, 2009

First Day Back


Not that it was a hard day, but I would so much rather be home. Sure it was good to see some people, and I have a good relationship with a couple of the kids, but I'm down in the dumps now. I worried all day about the lambs. I got Larry and Lester to drink almost a whole bottle of milk, with them standing instead of me holding them up in the air - much more comfortable for us both. Lilly would like to be out of the pen, but it's too soon for the two bottle lambs. If she was nursing them I wouldn't be concerned...but I have to make sure they get enough milk from the bottle. We had a meeting after work and I didn't get out of the building until almost 3:30. Drove like crazy to get home, thinking they would be lying on their sides, but they were up and not looking uncomfortable at all. Maybe Lilly has some milk in that one udder, but I haven't seen them on that teat, so I will keep mixing milk. Little Levi is fantastic, up and nursing often. After dog walking and bottles I had to lie down. The dogs wondered why mommy went to bed right after coming home from work, but got in with me nonetheless. Soon we were all in dream land. We were up by the time Matt came home, and I got dinner going. I'll go out to the barn and do chores - it always straightens me out. I have soap to wrap and things to do. I got the cream made last night for Gretchen's neighbor. Four bottles at $10 each, that's a few bales of hay, or a week's worth of gas, etc., and I'm so thankful for the business. There is a "Who" documentary on tonight. I've seen them several times in concert and "Tommy" still rings in my head. Eric was a tot running around the house when I was wearing the new album out. I spent some time in Brighton, England, where the Mods and Rockers riots took place, the theme of the Quadrophenia movie. Should be interesting. I can't stand to see Roger Daltrey growing old - something all their groupies are facing. Annie started her new job in San Jose today. Hannah and Luke started the pricey after-school program. Wish I lived closer so I could help with that stuff. It's no use moving to northern California. Eric plans on running his own council someday and no telling where it would be. Storm coming in tomorrow night. Driving to work is just awful and we are looking at four more months of it...but spring and summer here are just glorious. Father, Pastor, Brother AJ is coming to visit this week. He is spending Orthodox Christmas at a monastery in Canada, then catching a visit to the farm on the way back. He loves the idea of the farm but doesn't like to set foot in the manure. I think he was more comfortable living with 30 Hispanic soldiers in a hut in Cuba for a year. That's when he decided to go into the priesthood. I'm very proud of him. I heard from Libby over in the Fingerlakes. What a fantastic shepherd she is...she sewed coats for every one of my ewes so they wouldn't be cold!!

No comments: