Saturday, January 17, 2009

How Cold?


Mr. Simmonds says it was minus 15 F. (not wind chill) on his farm, a half mile down the road, this morning. I forgot to look. Funny thing, I'm getting used to it. The sheep are hungrier and thirstier. Hard work for the shepherd. I took six eggs out from under a chicken this morning. She fought me so hard I had to pull my jacket over my fingers so I wouldn't feel her pecking. If I left them the eggs would freeze, unless she sat on them for the next few weeks. If chicks did eventually hatch, they would surely freeze, so for now we are eating them. I'm not getting enough eggs to pay for having these lovely chickens, but I adore them. The chickens outside the chicken room lay eggs all over the barn and it's up to me to find them. Not an easy task. Warmer weather tomorrow, maybe up to 23. The big snow turned north and missed us. Okay with me - I'm sure there will be more. Larry and Lester are taking 24 ounces of milk each, three times a day. They are happy and friendly lambs. Wish I could see them eating more hay and corn. Levi is eating both and sipping water. Lemon Eucalyptus soap is on the schedule for today. Kim Parkinson from Ontario is coming to Maryland Sheep and Wool with me. Big relief to know that as she is so smart, talented and capable. Have to confirm our room at the Strawberry Inn. After a long day in the booth that bed will feel sooo good. I'm determined to get myself a sweatshirt this year. The line is always so long and not even vendors can cut the line.

No comments: