Thursday, January 29, 2009

It's A Conspiracy


When events conspire against my getting work sometimes I have to give in. Granted there were drifts blocking the driveway, but the plows had gone by and I knew route 8 must be cleared. A half hour with a shovel would do it. But Matt had decided to "work from home" today and didn't get up to do his chores. By the time I got up and out to the barn to do both our chores and got back in I knew I didn't have it in me to get dressed for work and shovel too. Waking the bear when he's not ready to be awakened can be problematic. I also had to move Finn and Knut back outside after bringing them in out of the ferocious weather last night, jumping through the drifts on the north side of the barn with the big white boys in tow and connecting their lines. Okay, I said to myself, maybe it's the right time for a mental health day. Then the guilt set in. I spent the day making up for the fact that I didn't go to work today. Matt dictated some weatherization correspondence to me for typing so he could email it into the office. I got the 96 pounds of soap cut and set up for curing on the drying rack. I finished three bags (okay, they were cut out already) and oh, are they cute. Tomorrow I'll ask our graphic arts teacher if I can borrow a camera for the weekend to take pictures. I got a few bags up on Etsy and I see they are getting quite a few peeks (they keep count!) I'm hopeful. I priced them all $25 lower than show prices, so we'll see what happens. I always do better when people can see the bags in person and can walk away with them. Little Baby Jane is doing great and growing I think. Mom loves her and stands very patiently while that tiny thing finds the teats under that forrest of mohair. I've never known a goat that didn't want her baby, unlike sheep who can be flighty, nervous mothers. I've been giving the sheep 300 pounds of corn a week and some skinny minnies seem to be gaining. Sounds like alot but its really not with my size flock. I give a few yearlings a wink and open the door to the milk room so they can slip in and eat without the big girls knocking them out of the way. My Dinah bangs on the door when she's done. Runty Ruthie is back out with the flock. She wasn't happy in the milk room where I thought she might be able to eat and relax (and not freeze). Ruthie was lonely, even with some kitties and occasional hungry lambs to keep her company. I guess she's rather get trampled than be without her posse. She's so cute I hope I don't lose her.

No comments: