Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sunday Night


Breeze got up with assistance and walked over to a round bale rather steadily tonight. Gives me some hope. Matt came in the apt. to tell me a "big white sheep" just had a lamb. Got out there in time to see a BIG slimey white torpedoe sliding out of her - she had a pair of giant ram lambs. Mom was licking and talking to them both as they struggled to their feet. All births should go like this. Healthy lambs sliding right out to a loving mother. I don't recall every having lambs so heavy. She had so much colostrum I milked out a jar for the tiny bottle lambs inside. I had some big sweaters ready and got the boys cleaned up and "dressed." Mom has very pendulous teats, which can be a problem for bigger lambs - they have to bend down to get ahold of them. I was in the jug helping them "find" the teat, but mom gave me a gentle butt, telling me to get lost. I'm hoping the boys it themselves before mom gets tired and lies down. My camera needs new batteries, hope to post a picture tomorrow. Back to work tomorrow. It's staff development day in Masonville, our sister BOCES, almost 50 miles away. Expensive trip, but a good topic - "The Trouble With Boys." It's a topic I'm familiar with (three brothers.)

No comments: