Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Aliens in the House


I was lying in bed this morning savoring those few moments when I can allow myself to rest a bit before rolling out. I heard clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop coming into the bedroom and there they were...two tiny little long-legged creatures in their knitted sweaters, exploring around. It was Benny and Buddy, my two little alien creatures, with pointed ears and twitching black noses. Betty is not strong enough to walk around that much. She's so tiny and barely weighs a thing. Bluefaced Leicester lambs are unlike any other that I've seen. They resemble fawns with their pointy noses and ears. Their black hoofs against the wood floors makes them sound heavier than they are. Once in a while their legs take over and down they go. I'm reminded of the Imperial Walkers in the Star Wars movie. The lambs looked at themselves in the big mirror, still sitting on the bedroom floor, and were quite amused with what they saw. The boys turned around and clip-clopped back out again. What a treat - I thought about them several times today. When I got home I checked on everybody, with special attention to Prudence and her lamb, who I've named Patience. Patience is still trying to nurse and Prudence is still skittish about it. I opened the gate to the pen and stepped in. Patience went under her mother's back legs and found the teat. To my delight (and I'm sure Patience's) Mom let her nurse. Maybe she remembered me holding her up against the wall of the pen last night? I don't know...but I stood there for some time so Patience could get a bellyfull. Let's hope Mom decides it's better to suffer the discomfort of her lamb's mouth than have her udder engorged with too much milk. My truck has no heat...not too much of a problem today but cold, cold weather is coming back again tomorrow. The BOCES automotive students will look at it tomorrow. Breeze is still down - Matt got him up for a few moments today, then he went back down. I want to get a halter on him and haul him inside the barn. I don't like those bent limbs on the icy ground. Have to call Dr. Rachel and ask her for another assessment before we make any decisions. Kelly says the lambs she took are doing fine. She and Steve have them for the week before they go to the horse farm. They bought them sweet feed and corn and put up heat lamps. They even seperated the bigger ones from the tiny runts to help the little ones catch up. I looked it up on this journal and found that I got the ram out on Sept. 23 (ouch - way too late.) Three more weeks of birthing. Light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments: