Monday, January 14, 2008

Flurries All Day


There may be a foot of snow in Boston, east of us a bit, but here we had pretty flurries all day as we often do. Weather will get steadily colder all week, then single digits on the weekend. That's when the ladies in waiting will decide to let their babies go. I've had a few nights of wonderfully uninterrupted sleep, and will need every bit of it. When those frigid temps start I will be making barn checks in the wee hours. The East End door is always open and I worry about moms going outside to have some privacy while giving birth. Lilly and Sparky are out of the lambing pen and tootling about the barn now. He's a very handsome young lamb and they make a striking couple. Lilly is black and her mother, Blue Tag, is white. Blue Tag is pregnant again and I would love her to have another Lilly, who is the perfect sheep with the perfect temperament and the loveliest fleece. Blue Tag, who has another name but along the way I gave her a new one, is one of my Founding Mothers, purchased from Lisa Rodenfells in Ohio, and is getting on in years now. A healthy ewe can live for ten or twelve years and give birth into old age if conditions are right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOhhhh,

I just want to walk all around with these lovely ladies and gents! Look at those beautiful "blue" faces -- you can just see them smiling at their loving mother ......

I'd better keep knitting if those ladies are gonna let go!

hugs

jan

Maggie's Farm said...

Thanks, Jan - oh, yes, please keep knitting!! I need little coats for twins and bigger coats for singles! Thanks so much!!