Friday, January 18, 2008

Lamb Sweater Pattern


Kim, the Canadian Wild Bunnywoman friend of mine, asked for the lamb sweater pattern. She is swimming in beautiful angora fiber, and many other fibery wares she sells under the name of Cornerstone Fibres. Could this mean that she is thinking about knitting me a lamb sweater????? One can only hope! Just in case that is true, here is the pattern, suitable for novice knitters:

Cast 45 stitches on size 10 1/2 or 11 needles with bulky yarn, or two strands of worsted weight. I use whatever I have in the house as long as it's wool or other natural fibers (wool or mohair wears the best but yarn with angora or alpaca added is better for warmth). Knit back and forth (garter stitch) until strip measures about two inches. Knit 10 stitches, then bind off 15 stitches for leg hole, knit to end. Next row: knit 15 stitches, cast on 15 stitches (I use reverse loops)to make the top of the leg hole, knit to end. Knit back and forth for six inches. Knit 15 stitches, then bind off 15 stitches for another leg hole, knit to end. Next row: knit 15 stitches, cast on 15 stitches, knit to end. Knit back and forth for two inches, bind off whole row. Fold sweater in half lengthwise and with yarn needle or crochet hook, start at end closest to leg hole and sew HALF the sweater together. When on the lamb, the unsewn part acts like a cape over the babies back and does not get soiled. Mom can nuzzle the newborn to her heart's content without the interference from the sweater. Voila! Lamb sweater is ready for baby. This sweater is also wonderful for goat kids, dogs, and any critter that needs a little extra coverage in the cold weather. I use up odds and ends for a cute striped sweater. Anybody using this pattern and having problems or questions - please get in touch and I will "talk" you through it.

Thanks so much, Kim and Jan!

8 comments:

Karen von Bargen said...

I have bred 11 goats and 2 ewes and am anticipating a flood of babies in 2011. All the previous kiddings and lambings were relatively uneventful but I started thinking about the worst case scenario...what if they all have triplets, lessee, 13 x 3...that's a potential for a lot of babies. I have always used parts of an old wool blanket and baby clothes in the past for keeping newborns warm but decided to explore the option of knitting the critters something more appropriate. First, I want to move to your farm. Second, I want those adorable little critters in their adorable little sweaters. And third, you are the only place on the internet that I could find that had easy, straightforward directions for knitting a reasonable lamb/goat coat. Thanks and I know what I am going to be doing all winter long, knit, knit, knit!

Maggie's Farm said...

I'm so glad you like my lamb sweater pattern! It really works, honest! I'll be knitting a few of these nifty sweaters myself very soon. They do shrink with washing, but then I use them for multiples, or goat kids. Good luck and please tell me if you need help. I'm here!

Anonymous said...

I had been searching for an easy-yet-attractive sweater pattern and I have to say that this is the best one I've found! (even better than the one on one of my fav. goatie sites - Shhh! don't tell!) Thanks for the easy-to-read directions. I have 3 does to kid this winter/spring and I think I'll be making a few of these. . .

Kellie said...

Thanks for this easy pattern to follow! I am new to goats and my first kids were triplets born last February. North Dakota weather is not very forgiving!

Anonymous said...

very cute sweaters! i just got two new lambs only 5 dyas old! and they keep shivering... i will be making these up very quickly!! Thanks for the pattern.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a great straightforward pattern for a lamb coat!! I just picked up an error as I was knitting. After knitting the first two inches, you say: "Knit 10 stitches, then bind off 15 stitches for leg hole." After reading the rest of the pattern, I think that perhaps should be: "Knit 15 stitches, then bind off 15 stitches for leg hole" ??? Thanks again!

Kiwi Boredom Busters said...

Hi. Thanks for the pattern. I know a group of people who are rescuing kids at the moment so they're desperate for some jackets. I'm about to try this. Can I confirm the needle size, please? I'm assuming that this is US size 10.5 - 11 ... is that right? Or are you using UK or metric needles? I look forward to hearing from you - and thanks once again :)

Maggie's Farm said...

The needle size you use depends on the yarn you are knitting with. I prefer a larger needle, such as US 11, or even a size 15, as you do not want to choke the yarn. Remember, you will probably want to wash the lamb sweater for future use and an allowance for shrinkage is advantageous. I always wash the yarn before knitting a lamb sweater for this reason, but there is usually some shrinkage anyway. I'm so glad shepherds and goatherds are still finding these wonderful sweaters useful. They have saved many a lamb/kid for me, and avoided a possible barn fire from heat lamps.