Sunday, October 28, 2007

Thanks, Jan!





Jackie woke me up to go out at 6:15, and it wasn't such a bad thing after all. There was a brilliant moon directly above the barn, with bright stars and puffy clouds racing by, so low I put my hand up to touch them without realizing what I was doing. A cold wind went right through my cotton flannel pajama pants, reminding me that it was time to order more silkies - quickly. Last winter's pair were shredded by spring. I lived in them, pulling my jeans over them in the trailer to go to work. Got the dogs back in and snuggled under the covers for some short lived rest. Jackie decided he wanted back in the bedroom and did the banging thing, this time from the other side of the door. I gave up on sleep and flipped the coffee pot on. I always get it ready to go the night before. Maybe Santa Claus will bring me one with a timer on it! Anyway, I decided to turn off the New Age CD channel I sleep by and check out the movies. Guess what was on? BABE!!! The little sheep pig story I hadn't see in years. By the end of the movie tears were rolling down my cheeks in happy gratitude at the sheepy life I have here... Speaking of sheep life, I looked out the window to see the sheep and goats headed for the road in the dawning light. I woke up Matt and told him an escape was going on. He had a terrific idea...he said let's go sit in the truck, drink coffee, and watch the sheep graze on Jan's land. Haying is done for the year and it will soon be covered with snow anyway. We pulled on some clothes, grabbed the mugs and away we went. What a scene to make you gasp...the sheer pastoral beauty of it - the ultimate bucolic setting. I was overcome with the fact that I finally have a friend who cares so much about me to throw away her life in an upscale town in NJ to buy some of what's left of my farm and go into business with me. Jan told me at Rhinebeck she had done it mainly to help me with my farm. What a lucky ducky I am...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you, Matt, the sheep, and the goats are enjoying our land! What a hoot seeing the critters block the road as they ambled their way over to our fields. It's a good thing. Dave and I just laughed at the solution Matt came up with! But, now you still have to get them back to the barn. Have fun .......

Hey, why don't you persuade some of the goats to head into the cemetery and start clearing out that brush? Put their hearty appetities to work for my benefit!

Hope you enjoyed your coffee!

:) jan