Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A Honey of a Veggie Stand






I took a trip into New Berlin to get some things at Big M, the indy store I like, and to pick up a good fly trap at Homestead. I decided to take a ride toward Pittsfield to see if the organic veggie stand was open. It was, and, since I have Sister Grace's garden for vegetables, I decided to buy some much needed honey. I love honey and use it in my hand made soap. What a lovely visit I had with Gayle Austin, the owner/grower. Gayle is a one woman powerhouse who does all the growing and beekeeping. She had on a tee-shirt that said Hoboken Agricultural District on it and I had to ask if it had anything to do with the NJ Hoboken. Gayle told me the story of Irish cotton mill workers who came here to work here in the 1850's. They gave this suburb of New Berlin the name Hoboken, as they were homesick for New Jersey...I guess it happens. I went home with some delicious spring honey, made from so many flowers that rolled effortlessly off Gayle's tongue, but I can't remember a single one right now, late on this hot afternoon. Have to let the sheep out to graze, then ride up and down the road to keep them in. Did it on foot yesterday and decided an air-conditioned truck cab is infinitely more comfortable.

No comments: