Friday, July 06, 2007

Getting Fat on Grass and Forage


My sheep and goats are in pretty good shape, getting fat on grass. Glory Be! I don't have to have it delivered and pay cash for it! There it is, growing in the fields and waving in the wind. My hill pasture is pretty well eaten down and with no rain it's not growing back. The lack of rain is a big problem. Brookfield has really gotten dry, with surrounding areas getting all the rain. We might not get a second cut around here. All my money is going to building our living quarters right now. The next thing I have to focus on is getting a tractor. The only way we can make it in farming is to grow our own hay. As long as we have to buy it there is no money for a tractor - and as long as we don't have a tractor we can't harvest our own hay. I told Matt I was going to call John Deere and lease a tractor but he is against it. I have tried for a year to get a local farmer to cut my fields for me but they are too busy with their own. Looks like we will by buying someone else's hay again this winter.

No comments: