Friday, August 19, 2011

Steamy


Hot and steamy out there. I took the doggies up to the top of the hill expecting to see the sheep grazing the lovely second cut on the high pasture, but no sheep. Smart girls, and neutered boys, they were lying on the cold dirt in the barn. I turned to see a long line of kitty-cats, following me in single file, with their little tongues hanging out and panting. Sweet kitties just couldn't resist joining us on our morning walk. I wondered if they were worried about missing some excitement? Or maybe just bored of watching life go by in the barnyard. I stopped by the apple orchard to admire the bumper crop of apples I'm getting this year. Conditions must have been just right in the spring. Last year a late frost killed all the buds and we had nary an apple. The branches are heavy with them now. I plucked one that had a bit of a blush and bit down. Nice and juicy but not very sweet yet. I don't know what variety these trees are. They are very old, perhaps from colonial times? Have to study up on apple growing. At one time I harbored a desire to prune the trees and get the orchard going again. Discretion prevailed and I decided to let the fruit drop for the sheep and goats. I won't spray the trees, and the fruit is a bit buggy by the time the apples are any good size. The sheep don't mind! I like the idea of the deer, who sometimes hide out from the local hunters in my orchard, fortifying themselves against the cold and the chase, with my fruit. The dogs, with kitties in tow, reached the pond and I almost shucked my clothes and waded in. The only thing that stopped me was the thought of having leeches latch onto tender tissues. I had one between my toes a couple of weeks ago, picked up at the waterfall. Luke was amused, as he is usually the one who finds the leeches. Matt Redmond took care of it with his cigarette. Sure enough it popped itself right out when touched with the heat. When I yanked the leeches out of Luke he bled like crazy. Life in the country... I just poured my morning's batch of Mango Soap. The lovely mango oil was a gift from Laticia, a soap/spinner friend, who got out of the soap business a while back. I've been anxious to use it, all 24 ounces of it - a good amount for my size batch of soap. I added some Litsea, a lemony essential oil that supposedly helps citrus oils to attach to the soap, instead of diminishing as they like to do. The Mango soap "set up" quickly and, instead of flowing into the molds, fell in thick chunks, not what we like to happen when soap making. I'm holding a giant, warm, pot, with hot molten soap inside, with the lye still active, balancing it on one knee, while trying to scrap out the clumps of soap into the paper milk cartons. Not the optimum situation. I still dream of free standing pot-tipper, which would hold the pot and allow me to pour by pulling the handle,leaving my hands free to scrap soap out. Dream on... On deck for today, finish two lovely bags on the machine, cut out one more, and I should make cream tonight for the market tomorrow. The weather report looks good, although hot and humid. Have to remember to pack my fan to plug into the lamp post in my spot. It really makes a difference.

2 comments:

Henya said...

I can just imagine you all walking in the lovely procession. Wish I could see it.
The Mango soap sounds lovely, I hope it turns out fabolous. Could you reserve a couple of pieces for me? I do not know how, but I will get it from you. Now I am sitting and wondering what fabric you will use to wrap it. Something tropical? I love mangoes and the mango season has just started here!

Maggie's Farm said...

Sure, Henya! Just send me your mailing address! I'll be cutting up the mango soap today so it can cure for a while.