Monday, August 15, 2011

Hay Motor Issues


I was elated to find a hay elevator motor at Tractor Supply for a hundred dollars less than Earley's Farm Supply, the local farm store I would rather support, but a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks. Sadly, the shaft is the wrong size and the motor will have to be brought back. I'll keep working on it. I did find the lye I use for soapmaking at Tractor Supply, for six dollars cheaper than Lowe's home store. That's a nice chunk of change considering I need 3 pounds per batch - savings of $9. Every little bit counts. Rushed home to find my cabbage soup, which I left on low flame, very well cooked but in need of some broth. I have a whole chicken simmering in a pot right now. While out I bought freezer bags to put all this lovely soup in for winter. The rain continues - a lovely, continuous drizzle that farmer's love - accept when you've got all the hay rows feathered and ready to pick up. With recent rain and this week's wetness, my field is in better shape than August has seen in the past. I have some fabric picked out and ready to do some cutting. When I get this soup project off the stove I'll make some soap. Colorscape is looming large, as I was reminded when I passed the town park in Norwich. What a happy time that festival is, with continuous bands and good food. Many people from my school system come through and they are able to see what I am all about outside of school. They aren't quite sure what to make of me, and I kind of like it that way. All they know is that this woman lives in the barn with the sheep, and she often rushes in with her hair wet wearing outfits hastily put together after she sheds her chore duds. At Colorscape it is all revealed. In the meantime there is much more to worry about than soap and fabric. The leaves are starting to change already and winter is looming, with livestock to keep alive through to spring, which never comes early here.

No comments: