Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Can I Repeat?


I'm going into "show mode." It's taken a while for me to get going, with Hannah and Luke here and farm concerns. Farm concerns are always here but I have to focus on product in order to keep the farm going. I've got a batch of Lemon Eucalyptus soap on the stove now, and three bags cut out, and that's good, but I'm still lagging with wool. I took a look into the cargo trailer and was happy to see a good bit of carded Mother Fiber in there, but I still have a lot to do. There is a mountain of fleeces out there that need picking, washing, dyeing, and setting out to dry, then shipped to the carding mill. The next two weeks are crucial. I'll work like crazy then go to the beach with Mia for a quick two day getaway at the end of this month. School starts for me on September 6, then the glorious fine arts festival, Colorscape, happens the following weekend. Fingerlakes Fiber Festival comes the weekend after that, my first travelling show. I love them both. Colorscape is a great bag show for me. Last year an EMT bought three bags, one for herself, her mother and sister. It was a big high for me. Conversely, there was a woman who bought a Bundaflicka bag the year before, and wanted another one, but couldn't find one she liked as much as the purple chenille tote she already had (a Carol Crayonbox fabric from the Ithaca area). It works both ways. I have approx. ten bags hanging now and need 30-40 at least for the season. Then there is Rhinbeck - NY State Sheep and Wool - looming in October, my biggest show of the fall. I'll have to burn the midnight oil in September for that show. I have lots of fabric but it's harder than you think. Fabrics need to be collated with linings, and I often don't have stuff that goes together. Then there is thread, buttons, and cedar inserts. I'm staying away from the metal bag frames as they tend to wear out after a couple of years of wear. Besides, I like the clay Bundaflicka Buttons. Hannah and Luke made a nice box load for me to use this fall. Talking about it won't get it done. Better get it in gear.

1 comment:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

You'll rock it out like you always do :) I love the button Hannah and Luke made -can't wait to see them paired with just the right bag!!!
HUGS
Kim
and the crew who are all spread out sleeping LOL