Sunday, August 07, 2011

Dolly's Dexter


As I was outside checking out the old fence line I have to pull down, I noticed little Dexter, Dolly's ram lamb, wandering over to the new farm sign. I had been thinking, oh, wouldn't a picture of the sign be nice with a sheep standing underneath it. Everyone who has sheep knows that sheep cannot be positioned anywhere. They go exactly where they want to go unless you force them otherwise or pen them in. How could I be so lucky as to be there, with camera in hand, when Dexter decided to wander directly under the sign. If I had a nice zoom lens I could have taken the shot from where I was standing, but, with my little point and shoot Canon, I had to move closer. Would he bolt? He stayed put more or less and I was able to get closer, pretending I was going somewhere else. Remember, most sheep are always on the lookout for wolves and are wary of being approached, even by the shepherd. Dexter is adorable. His mother, Dolly, is a rescue from a petting zoo in Bainbridge, and a lovely, happy, self-possessed sheep. Jim, my shearer, thinks she is a Romney/Corriedale cross. Here is the picture.

1 comment:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Love it -it looks like you posed him there!
HUGS
Kim and crew