Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Up Earlier


I opened my eyes at 5:30 and flipped the magic switch. Multatelli's Thor's Hammer is my friend - only surpassed by Starbuck's French Roast! Bella spent the night with me after a couple of nights in the barn. I noticed one knee getting worse and was worried about the cold affecting her bad bones. I don't know how such a beautiful purebred ewe could have such a weak lamb. Compared to the other lambs in the barn she is a very poor representation of her breed, but I love the little cripple. I'm on a roll with the wool sorting and dyeing. Got another fleece picked, washed and dyed last night. I love the feel of the fibers in my fingers - like going back to the stars my friend Harry Kelley said. Gosh, if he was hetero I would probably be writing him love letters. He has a finger on my pulse, and totally understands the pull of the fibers. I have many fleeces to sort through and will do another one tonight. I have to spread out my time, as I can't not do soap and Bundaflicka Bags, with Maryland looming large...but today is a work day and I have to get this show on the road. Two big mugs of foamy coffee and I'm ready to suit up and run the dogs up the hill before I start slinging bales. Another BIG storm is forecast for Friday, can you believe it? I don't know if I have any more sick, or "sheep" days left! Before I had sheep I would actually accumulate sick days from year to year, and left many unused in New Jersey. How life has changed...

No comments: