Monday, March 28, 2011

Still Clear and Cold



Sunny, blue skies and temps in the teens. This chilly weather will remain with us through the week. Winter still has a grip on us. I really don't mind, but I need the hills to grow some grass for my sheep to eat. I opened the back barn door for the non-maternity part of the flock to wander out, but, with nothing out there to eat, they choose to stay in their chateau. I'm shearing on April 9 with my faithful buddy, Jim Baldwin. This time I will have plenty of help with Andrew and Mia along with Kim and Rob, both strong sturdy people. I need all the help I can get with a LOT of animals that need shearing. I hope Jim eats his Wheaties the next two weeks. I picked a lovely fleece last night, found in the Tractor Shed, which has to be five years old. It's still lovely and soft. I think I will dye it purple for the base of another Pacifica run. I will be heavy on the black fleeces this year - great for the people who like the rich, darker colors. Not so good for the people who want the bright pinks and yellows. Maybe in the fall. I get a lot of "oh, I should have gotten more of this or that" and I just sigh because I tried to tell them but they didn't listen. I can't repeat a run because I dye what I have and go into my "zen-like state" when combining colors. I got a batch of Lavender done last night and poured it into my brand new soap-mold-box. It worked fantastically but I have to be sure and buy the half-gallon cartons without the plastic orifices on the sides. They prevented the empty milk containers from sliding all the way down, but the box still worked better than the old plastic container with shims propping up the milk cartons. It feels good to get back into the soap making groove again. It's still a thrill for me, and I have my recipe down pat so I can relax and enjoy the magic. Matt left for his energy conference San Francisco today after a brief stop home to wash his clothes. I wish I could tattle tale on him and tell his save-the-world friends that he constantly leaves the lights on, turns on the electric heat when I'm not looking, and throws hay on the floor for the sheep to step on and pee on. Hay-making is a horrible energy gorging activity, with all the gas used to run the tractors and balers when planting and harvesting, and every blade is precious. I'm working on some ideas for hay feeders now.

No comments: