Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Lamb in the Air


I took Bella to work with me yesterday, Tuesday. She is just too young to go all day without her bottle. Pretty soon she'll be okay going that long stretch, but not just yet. I asked the auto tech people put a wheel bearing in the day before and they said it would be sometime this week, maybe Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. I left her in the car, in her favorite box with her sweater on, towel underneath, and my warmest sweater on top of her so she would be warm and could smell me, her mother for all intents and purposes. I parked in a nice sunny spot and went inside to work. A half hour or so went by and two of my students excitedley burst into my room. Mrs. Alexander! Did you bring a sheep to work???? Apparently, the auto tech teacher took my van in right away and found Bella. She caused quite a stir. The kids told me the teacher said, "Haven't you kids ever seen a lamb before?" Bella was left in her box, in the van, and up on the lift she went. When it was time for her mid-day bottle, and my lunch time, I went to auto tech and asked where my car is. It's up on the lift they said. I wanted to feed Bella and check on her, so they brought the van down. The little pointed ears appeared as the car lowered. She was VERY happy to see me, and drank her bottle like a champ. I took her out of the box to stretch her legs, and she peed on the floor and made a few teeny tiny droppings. The teachers said not to worry and threw some of their funny dust on it. After Bella made some new friends in auto tech I carried her to the classroom, students following. Shortly after there was a knock on the door and there was the principal. She was not thrilled about having livestock in school, and told me to keep her hidden. She surprisingly did not tell me not to bring her to school again, and she made a remark about the sheep droppings in auto tech. I said, but we are a vocational-technical school, and she said, but we don't have an animal science program. She's the boss! The principal left and we went about our business. Bella was an angel and tip-toed around our room like a little ballerina. She had lots of stories to tell her lamb friends when she returned to the farm. I'm not sure if they believed her when she told them about going up high on the lift. Bella had fun that's the important thing! Matt was home sick today with a cold, so Bella could stay home with him. It couldn't have been as exciting as her ride on the auto-tech lift.

No comments: