Saturday, March 26, 2011

Dolly Has Twin Rams



I was giving my after-work bottles yesterday when I heard a little maaaa, maaaa at the end of the barn. There she was, my Dolly, the Romney/Corriedale cross (I think) who was rescued from the Frog Pond Farm petting zoo, with a tiny little baby, steam rising in the cold. I adore Dolly. I bought her to help build a relationship with a student who was working where Dolly was living. She had several years of wool on her and was trapped in a tiny pen for people to poke at her. Not a good life for such a grand sheep. Dolly is a very satisfied, self-possessed sheep who never really bonded with the flock, but is supremely happy in her new home. The last two years she has presented me with a lovely ewe lamb - first Mary Magdalene, then Dina. Alas, she had twin boys this time. I'm trying to forgive her. They are cute and frisky and it's hard to be mad at Dolly. She's a wonderful mother, and, thankfully, followed me into the jug. It took a bit of doing as I had to undo several panels and bend them back with one hand while holding the boys in the other arm. The bottle babies were tripping me up and confusing Dolly, but she followed the scent of her own babies. I had to squeeze them a little to make them yell to keep Dolly's attention. Dolly gave birth at the far end of the barn in the dirt. Good thing I had put the fence back up to keep everybody inside. I left them last night with sweaters on and lots of hay. Dolly had a good long drink from a bucket of warm molasses water to get her milk going. I fell asleep after chores and did my characteristic waking up every couple of hours. I rarely get a straight night's sleep. I think it's from having my own premature baby twins years ago, then ten year's raising sheep. Who knows. It may be Saturday morning but I've got to get this show on the road and check on Dolly and the Boys. Very cold and clear out there, but bright and beautiful.

No comments: