Sunday, March 13, 2011

Peace and Quiet


I'm watching footage of the tsunami in Japan. I confess I am not fond of the Japanese as a culture, it has to do with being a history major and lover of whales, but I wouldn't wish this suffering on anyone. Very,very horrifying. I'm glad Eric got Annie, Hannah and Luke off the California coast and away from the Ring of Fire. We are lucky in my part of Central New York as we are relatively free from hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, etc. Mother Nature has a way of slapping us down - some more than others. What's on deck for today? I'm hoping to make soap and sew, and do some chores around the barn. The enormity of this place is daunting, so I've learned not to be too ambitious. Just when I think I've got something done inside, there is the huge barn to think about. I've got some tails to dock and shots to give. I need to make product for spring shows now, and that is a convenient excuse not to sweep and mop, etc., but I like a clean place as much as anyone else. I make everything I sell, fabulous idea, but an enormous task. I spent a bit of time getting my Colorscape application photos in yesterday morning. We set out for lunch and the movies as it was Matt's birthday. We saw The King's Speech, which I've been hoping to see since Christmas. It was worth the wait. Colin Firth was good but Geoffrey Rush was even better. I had just settled down after chores last night when Mia called. We had a long, lovely chat. What a sweet daughter I have. We talked and talked about the wedding and what went right and what went wrong and how it didn't matter at all. Mia has so much going on, with her master's degree, work, moving, etc. This semester was tough as every spare minute which should have been devoted to homework and clinicals was focused on the wedding and honeymoon. Mia worried over every detail and other people's details, too. So like her. She's the most unselfish girl I know. We agreed this semester will be over in six weeks and another one will begin. She'll have more time to buckle down on her studies then. Mia's thinking she will graduate next May instead of December and I told her that was the smarter thing to do. I don't want her stressed and unhappy. Mia has to work a ten hour shift today, then stay an extra four hours for an extended shift...and there's no sitting at a desk or lounging in a cafeteria. The hospital figures out the minimum coverage needed for X number of patients and reduces staff so they have to work their tails off. Nice, huh? Andrew will pack up the apartment and get it moved over to his mother's house. We made plans to have a girl's weekend in Morristown and maybe get a room at the Hyatt. We'll shop at the Bargain Box and drink coffee at Greenberrys, then have lunch at our favorite sushi restaurant. The apartment is a terrific location to walk into Morristown but two thousand a month is crazy for a little walk up apartment in an old house with NO parking. They want a place of their own and I know they'll get it. I need to get to work on this place of my own...

1 comment:

LORI LAWSON said...

Those little lambs are just so darn cute!