Saturday, March 13, 2010

Say Yes to the Dress


The weather radar shows a wall of green headed this way. So glad I'm on high ground, but I've talked about the floods downstate before. All the water here flows down to the creek across the road. I like to stand on my hill and listen to it roar at night. Many flooding problems around here, enough to send kids home from school early when the Susquehanna and Unadilla Rivers threaten to come over their banks, or keep them from coming to school at all. But my sheep are safe on my hill, a very good thing. Thinking about Mia's wedding. I think I'll let my hair grow super long, then braid it all over the night before, and take the braids out for a long crimped look. I'll make a long, sparkly dress like Galadriel, the Elf Queen in TLOTR's. No firm date yet, but she has her dress, purchased in San Francisco, and she loves it. When I told a friend at work that Mia got her dress already, she said You mean you're not going to Kleinfelds?????!!! She was incredulous. I guess I'm the only mother of a daughter who is not familiar with that show - Say Yes to the Dress. I bought my wedding dress there, 31 years ago, but never heard of the popular TLC show. My more recent wedding dress was purchased from the little shop on the main street of Morristown, Mary Lou Bridals, and was on the half-price rack. It was stunningly beautiful and simple, with yards and yards of champagne tussah silk. And it didn't cost me two pay periods, like my Kleinfield dress. The bridesmaid's dresses were rejected by another bride when they came in the wrong color, and were only $30. The color was perfect for my Christmas wedding, and I wore Mia's bridesmaid dress on the honeymoon cruise. I have a picture of me somewhere, as green as my dress, as I had barfed all over the deck the first day of the cruise. Matt was totally unfazed and helped the nice Filipino deck hand clean up my mess. My friend, whose daughter is only 13, is already planning to get her dress at Kleinfelds in Brooklyn. It's what mothers do these days! So what did I watch the other night? Say Yes to the Dress. I don't have any more daughters, but I can derive vicarious pleasure from watching other mothers help their daughters pick a wedding dress. It's a real cute show.

2 comments:

Lea said...

Your wedding was very beautiful. The dress was spectacular as well as the bouquets. The piper just topped it all off. Yeah for Christmas weddings!

miaaviva said...

i am totally familiar with the show, haven't seen it too much! I am so sorry that I got my dress mommie! we can go and i will try them on if you want!