Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Snow Again

Surprise early morning snow.  I didn't realize how much until I got out to the road and saw it covered.  Stayed covered and icy until I reached Norwich.  Was very careful, going slow around all the twist and turns of Kings Settlement Road where one good skid can send you down into a ravine in a dead cell zone.  No sliding for me until I tried to turn into the school parking lot and slid right past it.  Three districts were closed so fewer students and many grumpy teachers mumbling we should have had the day off.  Agreed.  Still snowing on the way home.  The farm looks like a winter wonderland again.  I made a trip - three miles past the farm - to pick up the mail.  I bought a couple of books written by female shepherds about farming. Thought it might boost my enthusiasm to hear another person's struggles.  It works some times but back fires other times when I read how much smarter and successful somebody else it.   Oh, well, it will be good to read a book - a real book with real paper - a few pages a night.  I usually put reading material in the throne room where I steal a few minutes to myself now and then.  One book, The Farm I Was, by local shepherd Ann Mohin, is the one I will start with. Ann and her husband, Bill, sold their farm in McDonough six years ago.  I looked at it - gorgeous place - but it was way too pricey and the house was nicer than the barn.  I was more interested in the barn as the sheep came first.  They still do but I'm beginning to think more of my own comfort lately.  Too late!   We made dog and cat toys for the Norwich SPCA in class today. The kids were pretty good about it.  Many wanted to make toys for their own animals.  I explained to them that the homeless animals needed the toys, and how community service is very important.  They think community service is something you do when you are being punished by the court, as that's been their experience.  Tonight I spent an hour digging out the large metal water tank which I am using as a hay feeder at the far end of the barn.  I knew this would happen, but no big whoop.  I fork it out into a pile and the critters chow down on the mashed partially fermented haylage.   Yummy in the tummy.  Too bad I couldn't find my head light and worked largely in the dark with critters all around me.  Worked up a nice sweat and now I'm back inside with my herb tea and Black Watch LL Bean granny gown ready for night-night.  The flock looks good for the middle of January.  Like my friend Mr. Baldwin said it's not how good your sheep look in the fall but how they look come April that's tricky.  Or something like that.  Wanted to do other things tonight but I'm nodding already.  Five AM comes very soon.  Matt bought me a used gas range to install in the work room adjacent to the apartment.  It will be a great source of heat in the very cold weather and serve as a soap making/dyeing stove for me. I will have to spend the next two months sorting, washing, dyeing and washing again the mountain of wool I have to prepare for the upcoming show season.  There is also soap and creme making to consider and the forty or so Bundaflicka totes I need to take to Maryland.  There won't be too many more nights snuggling with Izzy on the sofa at nine thirty at night.  No that will never do.

No comments: