Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Reality Check

I hear the moans and groans of teachers and students all over the country this morning.  I have to stop and pick up bread and milk for my kids.  Very, very cold and dark here making my departure from the farm even more difficult.  It feels like I'm leaving a giant day care center unattended.    The sheep have lots of hay, especially now that my wonderful neighbor Christopher Kupris has gifted me with a ten foot long large metal watering tank that I filled with hay last night.  It took quite the Herculean effort to drag/push it through high snow drifts and hoist it over two fences.  The behemoth is now placed in the east end of the barn under a hole in the wall of the hay mow.  I can stand upstairs and fork hay into the tank from there.  You should have seen the sheep standing in a row watching this happening for the first time.  They quickly bought into it and started munching.  We calculated the hay will last to the end of March.  Ten more weeks of hay must be found to make it through.  My Brookfield friend Sandy McGuire turned me on to a couple of local hay sources.  Have to call them now or they might be out by end of March.  Yes, I'll say it again.  Hay is life.  And so is work.  And I better hit the tub then say good bye to my little friends and tell them I'm doing this for them.  They will nod their heads back and forth and wag their tails.  I hope they understand.

No comments: