Sunday, January 13, 2013

Arty Tamale Party




We drove to the far side of Hamilton in fog so thick we could hardly go faster than 10-20 mph, slowing to an almost stop when the yellow line faded in places.  It was well worth the trip.  Kathy Herold's classic Victorian house was a colorful oasis in the bleakness.   The table was bowing under the weight of several varieties of tamales along with dips, chips and fresh fruit.  I adore Kathy's house.  It's filled with antiques, cushy sofas covered with pillows, and lovely plants including blooming amarylis and Ficus Benjamina trees.  The walls are covered with every variety of paintings, fiber art and photography.  It was wonderful to be reunited with Hamilton Farmer's Market friends and the High Priestess of the Clan of Candace herself.  I met a musician, Raina, of the group Cove Creek, who I've heard sing at the market many times but rarely spoke to personally.  She happens to run the greenhouse at Colgate University.  I got some good info about how to arrange artsy trips for my students.  There is so much at Colgate I can take advantage of.  We spent the evening gorging on delicious healthy food while chatting and playing pool.  I befriended Steve Nyland, an artist from Syracuse whose paintings I want to introduce my students to.  Kathy's dogs, Joe and Max, two brown Labs, ran races around the living room in front of me for a good part of the night.  I got a complete dog fix from those boys.  I was reminded of my beautiful center hall colonial in New Jersey with the 12 x 24 living room, and the parties I had ions ago, before my lifestyle became so "alternative" and rather primitive.  I vowed to get a party room built in the hay mow so I can host my own artsy parties in the future.  Yes, fantasies are free, aren't they?  Today Matt is in the right frame of mind to work on the electric service here.  I'm so relieved.  I'm tired of sleeping with my underwear on and shoes/clothes next to me in case I have to get the animals out real fast.  I keep the barn doors open all the time, but who knows if the darlings would have enough sense to run out in the event of fire?  Enough of the reality check - my mind is still back at the lovely party last night.  I didn't want to leave.  Friends drifted out and the young beautiful ones retreated upstairs to their private parties in the many rooms available to them.  Some of the old crusty hippies, including us, played  pool in Kathy's garage turned Bohemian/Mexican game room. Candace Cain dominated the green and put the boys in their places.   When the game was over I gave in and we journeyed home in more pea soup fog.  Familiar twists and turns helped us navigate past Colgate, then this farm, that farm, route 12, Crumb Road, Endless Trails, Barb Taylor's Tack and Field, Giles Road, then Stanbro Road where I drove off the road into a culvert in the same kind of fog, then Academy Road, past the cows and 40 year old mare and her daughter, then my hillside and my farm.  The doggies were ecstatic to see us as we seldom go out at night.  There is something very comforting about a mid-winter party in a house with riotus happy color at every turn, a cushy rocking chair, a fluffy margarita and good friends.  I came home wanting to paint with my students and take them on stimulating educational trips.  Have to call Raina at Colgate tomorrow.  So many ideas, so little time.

No comments: