Sunday, January 13, 2013

Green Grass in January


This is very unusual for upstate New York, or Central New York as we call it here.  Upstate New York is farther north, as in Potsdam.  Where I come from, New Jersey, this is upstate New York.  Nevertheless, we don't usually have sheep out grazing in January.  This is the second year in a row that my hillside has revealed itself in the middle of the winter.  The sheep don't mind a bit.  They were thrilled to get up on their hill. I still have the fall lambs, Margot, Margareta, Robert and Duvall, in the maternity pen where I can give them extra grain and hay undisturbed by the other sheep and goats.  We got them vaccinated and wormed today but did not let them out.    Robert and Duvall are still not weaned from their bottles and I might not be able to get to them if mixed in with the flock.  Yes, it is time to wean them.  Soon...

No comments: