Monday, October 11, 2010

Wool to Play With


Big Jim Baldwin came to the farm and sheared 33 sheep and goats today. My usual helpers couldn't come so Matt and I did it ourselves. We lured them into the upper hay mow with corn then barricaded them in. Jim came right on time, as he always does, and we started catching the big, fat spoiled rotten ewes and wethers, as well as the ram lambs and some goat kids. Most refused to move once caught, and laid down on the floor. Some Matt and I almost carried to the shearing platform. I have some very stubborn sheep. We did shots, worming, hoof trimming and bagging of fiber. I used to get so nervous when shearers come, but not with Jim. He is hilariously funny and just the right pace for me. We were worn out before Jim was, and stopped at 33 when Matt said, NOT ONE MORE, Maggie! I hope to get Jim back soon to do the rest, if not they can wait until spring. Most were shorn last spring so it's not pressing. Now Maggie has many fleeces to sort and pick while watching TV when the world is covered with snow. Some black "high percentage" crossbred fleeces are so heavy I can hardly pick up the bag, while the purebred fleeces are light as feathers. So goes it with Bluefaced Leicesters. The work involved with raising and harvesting my own wool is hideous. No wonder I'm such a snob about home-grown fiber. Time for chores, then working on soap into the wee hours. Rhinebeck is looming large - I can't believe it's almost here. Just hope I can find my way there pulling my trailer. Matt always drives but has to stay home to watch the farm this year. Wish Santa Claus brought me a GPS.

3 comments:

Henya said...

Glad you survived the experience!

Henya said...

Glad you survived the experience!

Anna said...

Glad you survived!