Thursday, October 07, 2010

Very Windy But Blue Sky


Woke up to pouring rain, not a happy sound when the hay is stored outside and all the sheep are in the barn. After the same morning routine all week I just got dressed and went about dealing with it. I know why Matt likes morning chores better than night chores. Charging around in the early hours wakes me up and makes me sweaty enough to really enjoy my bath. We don't have a shower yet, only the big clawfoot tub that Matt brought home from a job site in New Jersey. There is no choice but to soak and that's fine with me. Every morning, no matter how rushed I am, I lie down for a "ceremonial soak" to commemorate the year that I lived in the trailer and did not have a bath tub. Those were the days of sink baths in the school sink, and our Red Neck Saturday Night with the stock tank in the milk room. We still save on hot water by having me bathe when Matt is doing chores, then he gets in my water. Funny how my water is lovely, soapy and fragrant. After he gets done with it the water is very manly and gnarly and leaves hairs on the bottom of the tub. I pay for my first-bath status by scrubbing the tub before I get in it again. School was okay today. Some challenge always presents but at long last I'm able to be more philosophical about it and know that it will be resolved one way or another. There is more administrative work this year having to do with the frequent absences on the part of my special ed students. That's where Robin comes in and I do so appreciate her service. Picked up my repaired sewing machine after work. Can't wait to get it back in the cabinet and fire it up. He said it needed a thorough cleaning and new drive band (no kidding - it was shredded!) I picked up some fabric to wrap my lovely soaps at Sew Nice. I don't have fancy molds, and cut my soap by hand with a kitchen knife, so the pretty quilt fabric definitely helps attract customers. The fabric also protects the soap from knicks or storage damage. I drove home in a strong wind, so strong the hose blew water all over the ducks and chickens in the pen. One pig has escaped from the pen and I can't get him cornered anywhere. He's in with the sheep, who only have a few bales of hay to eat, while his buddies chow down on all the tasty goodies inside the pig pen. Not a smart move. Matt is due in the wee hours. I've already called him to warn about the pig being loose. Staff development in Masonville at our sister campus tomorrow. It's a 40 mile drive instead of 25 one way for me. The leaves are even more beautiful over there, as it's in the foothills of the Catskills. They always feed us well and we get to work with each other sans students. Works for me! Better get back to chores. I have so much to do it scares me to think about it, but I also know by now that I will do what I can to the best of my ability. God gave me two hands and 24 hours a day and I will make the most of it. Before I left for work this morning I had such a sweet picture to take with me - Chris, my llama, a handful of sheep including Baby Thunder, Dolly and the ancient crippled Miss Mamie, nestled in the hay in the upper mow, warm and dry and watching the rain come down outside, while a mother hen led at least ten tiny new chicks around them, digging for leftover corn kernels. It was just such a precious site and made me smile from ear to ear. I was reminded why I do what I do.

No comments: