Friday, October 22, 2010

Snowing?


Every year it comes as a surprise. It snowed a bit yesterday, along with some small hail stones. We have very varied and dramatic weather here, living east of Lake Ontario. I had never travelled the great state of New York prior to moving here, other than to go to Manhattan very occasionally, or to Rhinebeck for NY State Sheep and Wool. When I did decide to move here it was on the advice of my old friend, Lisa Merian, who was born here after her parents came from New Jersey after the Korean War. I had a full time job, and sheep, and couldn't spend a whole lot of time roaming around looking for a place to put my sheep, and me. This lovely barn was, and is, the best barn that I found for sale. I had been keeping my flock on rented land with no electric or running water. I had only a stream and a couple of lean-toes. They were a mile away from where I was living, way too far. I would drive up and find them crowding into the lean-to, many with only their heads sticking in out of the weather. When the stream would freeze, I would break up the ice with a big iron stake. When that didn't work I had to truck big Jerry cans down to the field. This situation, rough as it is, is infinitely better. We will be starting work on winterizing the barn this weekend, after the farmer's market. My priest-in-training is coming to visit, soon to be Father Aaron. To me he will always be AJ. Time to get on the road. Fridays are my favorite days at school. Everyone is euphoric at the idea of being free for the weekend. It is movie day in my GED class. My This Day in History the last few days has been full of notable events like the Battle of Trafalgar, ratification of the Louisiana Purchase, launching of Old Ironsides, etc., that I decided to show them Master and Commander with Russell Crowe. Perfect for discussing imperialism, naval warfare, British and the French at war, etc. A student asked me why we talk about war so much and I thought about it myself. It is war that changes governments, national boundaries, and advances technology, etc. We watched Cold Mountain last week, and talked some about the Home Guard. When I was in graduate school I came across a PHD dissertation about the home guard in North Carolina torturing the civilian population for information about deserters, etc. I think Charles Frazier used that same research for Cold Mountain. Sad and fascinating. I saw the most beautiful rainbow ever on the way home from work yesterday. I had to pull over and gaze at it for a while, on the hill overlooking New Berlin. It was huge, with incredibly thick stripes, with very brilliant colors. It went right down into the town, illuminating the buildings behind it making them look eerily iridescent. Arrived home after my usual stops at Homestead Feed Store where I picked up a hand built nest box, done by Vinnie the carpenter son of the owner, PO and the little market. One pig was loose, who I left for Matt to deal with later, and found the place more or less intact. It's always a blessing to find everybody okay...but not for long. I ventured too close to Knut when taking Pip and Tanner out on the leashes for our walk up the hill. I picked up a rib cage to toss back to Knut and Pip lunged for him. When the White Boys were puppies Pip would pee on their pen and in their faces. The Boys have never forgotten and still want to tear Pip to pieces. Knut got Pip's snout in his mouth and wouldn't let go. I guess Knut has about a hundred pounds on Pip, a Jack Russell terrier. The tug of war lasted a few minutes with me trying to pull Pip away from Knut. He let go after a while and there was blood everywhere. Pip is fine, although his mouth is swollen. He's wagging his tail and eating, but looking a bit odd in the face. Both dogs are satisfied that they drew blood on the other. I could do without the drama after a long day at work. Daylight is coming, I'll check for snow.

No comments: