Saturday, October 09, 2010

Tough Business


Randy, my former student, and his father are here to take care of some sheep and goats for me. They are all males, except for my ancient Miss Mamie, and are either crippled or have such a small amount of wool they will earn their keep more as dog and cat food than woolers. Miss Mamie can still get herself down to the grass to graze, but she's skin and bones and will surely freeze with the coming winter. I don't raise sheep and goats for meat, but if they are too old to move, or in pain, or are such bullies to the females, they have to go. I'm lucky Randy, who I adore, will come and do them for me. I won't take them on a terrifying one-way trip to an auction, or give/sell them. I still obsess about sheep I've given away, being out in the rain and snow, or being sold off somewhere. They will be in the freezer right where I know where they are. I'll be able to take better care of all the others this winter. I've spent way too much money keeping them all alive. I have the curtains drawn and music playing. I won't eat them - I don't like mutton and have never tried goat meat. Professor Janet Ambrose, my fiber friend from SU, routinely feeds goat to her family and they love it. Not ready to go there yet. For now I'll be satisfied to give fresh meat to my cats and dogs.

No comments: