Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Orpheus is my Friend


Seven hours straight of good, sound sleep. My sleeping buddies, Izzy, Pip and Tanner, along with Blix and several other cats, kept me warm and snug. It's getting cold very quickly this year. We have to start getting the barn ready for winter. Broken windows have to be covered with plastic, and pipes have to be wrapped to prevent freezing. I have to talk to Stan about starting the BIG barn clean up. That will be very exciting. I will finally be able to stand straight up while doing chores. Stan and his son will not only take the poop out with their amazing machines, they will chop it up and spread it on the fields. That hard-as-rock manure and hay pack under my feet is worth it's weight in gold as fertilizer. The snow will cover the fields and melt the little bits of poop and old hay and it will be absorbed into the ground, soaking it with nutrients. Yes, the glitzy yarn shows are very exciting, but getting my barn cleaned out is a close second. Matt installed a draft inducer to get the smoke up my wood stove chimney. No more choking on black smoke. We need yet another section of pipe outside, but it would require getting a lift to do it. This machine will help until we can get that done. The draft inducer is electric and won't work in the event of a power outage and the wind could still cause back-puffing. I still have my gas oven as an alternative heat source. Yes, heat is good.

No comments: