Sunday, July 27, 2008

Ole' ELO



What a show. A series of thunderstorms rolled in last night and got very serious before the night was over. I climbed into the hay mow and watched the sheep running back to the barn while hail pelted them. I wished that Lukie was sitting on my lap and Hannah on the bales the way we watched storms through the big open barn doors. As the night progressed I was glad I got them on the plane and out of town early. Not sure if they would have flown today. By 10 an incredible light show was going on, reminded me of the aliens coming in Close Encounter of the Third Kind. Then the thunder cracks came closer and closer. The poor dogs were tied to the pine tree and going crazy. Even Chris the llama came into the barn. The sheep were standing inside tightly grouped with terrified looks on their faces. Thor, tied to the silo next to the barn, jumped through the window by the bunny cages. With lightning bolts coming so close I was afraid to run out into the barn yard, and went back into the apt. to calm the other dogs. Suddenly a deafening crack so loud it hurt my ears erupted right on top of me. The dogs went wild and the power went out. The storm kept going but eventually moved on over the ridge. Today I found the big light over the barn doors blown off it's hinges. I don't know why the strike didn't hit the tin roof, with the line of lightning rods going across it. Relieved that everyone was okay, with Finn and Knut sleeping peacefully under the pine tree, I was more annoyed about the power still out until 9 this morning. I should have closed the big barn doors during the storm, as the rain blew in and wet the haystack, but it requires hoisting a big, long, heavy wooden brace up and slipping it into the slots, while the doors keep wanting to swing open. Today I hear of storms up and down the Midwest and Northeast. I called Annie today to ask about the kids, but there was no answer. Just as well, they should get used to being with their parents, and I need to deal with it. Everywhere I look I'm reminded of them, and collecting all their little things is painful. I loved serving them their cute little meals, and washing their clothes, and taking pictures at every turn. Luke's birthday is August 25 and I am already scheming how to get to LV...but I would have to fly out of Philly to get a good deal - five hours away. Keep dreaming. In the meantime, I am sewing, tidying up and tending to my critters and missing the Little Ones.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Glad all is well after terrible storm. Sorry the kiddos are gone, I so enjoyed reading about their visit and seeing the lovely photos. They will cherish these summer memories their whole lives.

Kathleen said...

I love thunderstorms! What sucks, though, is that they always come during the hay season.