Thursday, March 29, 2007

A Real Bed


What I would give for a real bed! The cot in the trailer is slightly tilted toward the wall. I wake up and find myself up against the cold metal wall, with a hole in it, and the one wool blanket I still have intact pulled off me. The dogs go to burrow under it and pull it right off. I make a mental note to find a place to send my wool to have blankets made. They are the only bedding my dogs don't shred. Anything with the least bit of fluff is bye-bye. Hard scratchy wool is not palatable to them. Yes! I'll fix them. It was hard to crawl out from under the dogs this morning. I usually have to push them off with my legs, like I'm riding a bicycle, yelling doggies out! doggies out! They are as groggy as I am in the wee hours. Then they are up, jumping against the trailer door, barking like crazy. I grab Pip and put him on a leash. He teaches them all to run away. I have threatened to put him in the stew pot many times, but Matt is crazy about that dog. He understands Pip's wild spirit. Pip is a Jack Russell terrier on steroids. I traded two goats for him because I had a terrible rat problem in Pa. When I met my friend, Dru Shepherd, on the Garden State Parkway to pick him up, I was shocked. There was a 10 week old puppy who looked like a full grown Jack. Uh-oh, I thought, here we go. I guess I won't be carrying him around in my purse! Have to get going on chores. I hope to pick up my new glasses today. I can't read with these drug store glasses and my old ones are broken. I got tired of all the remarks about the duct tape holding them together, and needed a new prescription anyway. Have you noticed all the typo's over the last week? The screen is fuzzy! Teachers do have to read from time to time! I've been squinting for a week. I have the bottles all made, big mug of coffee swallowed and here I go - lights on, bucket of warm lamb bottles. I hear the lambs calling now...tiptoe through the barn to look for babies first, then let the White Boys out of the pen. I have a screen across the big door so goaties don't go out and drop babies in the mud, and the White Boys can't run away. I don't want any incidents while Matt is away...Okay here I go - be brave!

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Hi Maggie,
I've been immersed in reading your blog...it just occurred to me that I have a fiber animal! We have Celeste; a Siberian Husky baby girl...what's a northern dog like that doing here in Peru? I have no idea, but we're coming into winter (such as it is), and I'm hoping that in a few months, she'll have a spectular coat that I can harvest for spinning. Huskies are supposed to blow their coats twice a year, so either we'll have a great time spinning with the drop spindles, or we'll be packing piles of dog hair into trash bags to be thrown away. I'm up for the experiment. She's no lamb, but might be a suitable substitute.