Thursday, March 01, 2007

Black Jack


My friend, Gretchen, asked me what about the goats? She kept reading about the sheep and wanted to hear about my goats. So I will write a little about one very macho goat named Black Jack. He is a senior goat, about five or six years old...and comes from a town called Mexico, New York. I don't live very far from Mexico, which is under quite a bit of snow if I recall from news reports. Black Jack's owners brought him to the New York State Sheep and Wool Festival to be shown in the goat show and sold as a baby. Matt came to my booth and told me about a beautiful little baby goat covered with black ringlets. He even brought him to the booth for me to look at...but, typical of most husbands, told me I couldn't have him. The story turned out differently...at the end of the show Matt came walking up with the little black darling who had just won "Best Baby Buck" in the goat show! Black Jack has produced some stunning black offspring for us, and supplied me with some terrific black mohair, a fiber that is hard to come by at shows. People usually keep what they have. Black Jack is getting on in years, goat-wise. The does hang around him and bask in his masculine presence. He has a great set of horns.

No comments: