Saturday, March 03, 2007

Nonnie's Foot is Healed


Remember Nonnie, the little ewe lamb, Naomi's daughter, who was walking on the top of her foot? Well, we wrapped her leg and foot in gauze and tape, straightening it out so she was walking on her toes. I couldn't wrap it in such a way as to make the foot stay in the right place, but I thought it would work...good news, she is doing great and walking properly. I think her foot may have gotten kinked in the womb. In the meantime, Tonya, Donnagh's lamb, and I are joined at the hip. Donnagh had the prolapse and decided she only wanted Tonya's brother, not Tonya. We tried and tried to get her to take Tonya back, but nothing doing. She was not feeling well after a difficult pregnancy, either. So Tonya lives in the Milk House adjacent to the barn and we do the bottle thing four times a day. I had to move the puppies out to the barn, as they knocked Tonya around and I suspect injured her hip. Nothing feels broken, thankfully. These lambs are tough but when two rambunctious puppies are involved I am fearful. Too bad, as they kept Tonya nice and clean and were great company for her. Now she listens for my footsteps and voice and makes little baa, baa sounds when I come in the room. I hate to take a sheep away from the mother...when it is raised by humans it is neither sheep nor human, neither here nor there. I have two sheep successfully reintegrated into the flock after house raising, Fiona and Baby Thunder, but they are loners and just tolerate the other sheep.

No comments: