Thursday, March 08, 2007

Big With Lambs...



This is Whoopi and she is very pregnant. I think she had triplets last year, with two surviving. She looks like she could be carrying triplets again by the size of her. She can hardly breathe and is very uncomfortable, as you can see by her straining pose here. She's not in labor yet and I pray she doesn't give birth tonight. It is very, very cold outside and the barn temp is going down, too. We put her in a lambing pen and gave her some feed and water of her own. She was too tired to fight the crowd for food at feeding time. This way she can get some strength up for the task ahead. Matt hung a heating lamp so it's ready in case I come out here in the wee hours and babies have come.

We let Myrna, Nina and Natasha out of the jug. Now they are members of the flock. Natasha was the second black twin who Myrna was not taking to kindly to at first. Now Natasha is big, heavy and thriving. I take particular pleasure in seeing Myrna with her twins, as she lost two sets of twins prior to this...I still don't know why. Myrna is featured on my Bundaflicka farm sign, right in the middle - her heart shaped face posed so prettily. I am up to 34 lambs, most of them ewe lambs, with three or four more ewes to go. I might hit 40 lambs. Forty is a Biblical number - for example, forty days and forty nights. I like that!

No comments: