Monday, February 05, 2007

Our Flock is Growing


Here is Quentin, son of Shavaun and Legolas, who came into this world around 2 am this morning, along with another ewe lamb, Tina (who is very tiny). I woke with a jolt when I heard a little "maaaa" "maaaa" on the baby monitor. I slept in my clothes so I could get out to the barn quicker. I opened the door to the trailer and a blast of wind slammed it back. Wonderful...I thought. Temperature outside minus three, inside the barn - 16F. There they were, two moms on either side of the hay feeder with their babies. Luckily, Matt had their pens set up and I was able to coax the moms in by holding their babies eye level with them and walking backwards. I ran back to the trailer, got Matt up and he held the moms while I squeezed out some colostrum. It "lights the fire" in their bellies. Navels treated, sweaters on, bellies full, heat lamp up and we dragged our weary bodies back to bed. Two hours of rest and up for work - but not before checking out the newborns, checking for any more newborns, and all the chores. Oh, that cot in the trailer was hard to leave. Pip was up against the small of my back just right - even shielding the cold spot on the wall where he tried to eat his way out last summer, leaving bare metal. Bodie and Izzy on the other side, Jasper and Holly under the covers against my belly. It was a five dog night, alright, and tonight will be the same with probably more births to come.

No comments: