Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Friends I Left Behind


One day I arrived at the pasture where I was keeping my sheep in Pa. and saw two bicycles lying on the gravel parking area. It was Nathan and Billy, two local boys who had been riding over to say hello to my sheep on a regular basis. I caught them by surprise and they offered to help me every day. What a Godsend they became to me...lugging bales out to the lean-tos, cleaning out feed bowls and hoisting those 50 pound feed sacks. They were great at catching the critters, and became proficient at giving shots and trimming hoofs. Courtney began walking over from the developement next to the field and she rounded the trio out nicely. I miss my young helpers.

Nathan is now the proud owner of four Babydoll Southdown sheep, including a new ram who he hopes will help produce some lambs this spring. It gives me satisfaction to know I started someone in sheep.

No comments: