Sunday, February 18, 2007

Maternity Ward


Matt built me five jugs, or pens, where moms can bond with their babies and spend the first three days seperate from the other sheep, goats and llamas. This way the lambs don't have to chase the moms around for food, or get trampled by the flock. I can make sure they are on the teat and progressing nicely, or give them help if they need it. If they need a heat lamp I can hang one, which I try not to do for fear of fire. I use sweaters instead. The milk room, where I have heat and water is steps away. Today I let Gloria with Goodness and Mercy out of their jug, along with Dulce and her lamb, Dorcas. Naomi and Nonnie are still in and will be there for another two or three days. It's so interesting to watch a new mom come out of the jug. She calls to her lambs to keep them close, and the lambs always know their mother's voice. They have been hearing it for the last five months from their watery world. Goodness, Mercy and Dorcas all started jumping around, enjoying the open space. Once in a while another mom would give them a little head butt, telling them to get out of here - you are not my lamb! Then it's high tail it back to mom for a reassuring drink.

No comments: