Saturday, February 24, 2007

Almost Lost Teddy




Well, remember Florence Nightingale's triplet brother, Teddy? His mom has not been nice to him. We sanded his sharp teeth but that didn't seem to help much. Last night after chores I lay down on top of his mom and held her down while Teddy nursed. He just sucked and sucked on that teat. Mom was not amused, but I had lost patience with her. Well, my four o'clock barn check revealed nothing unusual. Teddy and Florence were snuggled together. Lambs were playing leap frog over the llamas. Later that morning Teddy looked awful, positively awful. He was stiff! I picked him up and he was almost frozen! Remember how I told you I would not post unhappy endings? At twelve noon I think I almost have him on the mend. We tube fed him some warm milk and molasses, and put him in the oven - well, almost in the oven. Old English shepherds would put them in a special compartment in their Aga stoves, but I don't have an Aga (would love one...) We put a fence up between Teddy and the elements. I gave him my favorite angora scarf and plaid baby blanket to rest on and went about the other unfolding drama I will tell you about next. I think Teddy is here to stay, but he is definitely MY Teddy now. I told his mom she should be ashamed, but she just touched her chin to Florence Nightingale as if to say, she is all I want and need. Bluefaced Leicesters are superb mothers and she had been through a terrible all day ordeal with those triplets. I am trying to understand. Raising a bottle baby is not easy with a full time job...

No comments: