Monday, February 19, 2007

Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures


Okay, so how to feed hungry sheep and pay mortgage? One has to do what one has to do. I have three Robin wheels and two of them are going on sale. I bought them for Mia and Hannah. I can't see Mia spinning anytime soon with nursing school, etc. and Hannah has the Louet I bought for Annie, her mother. Annie wasn't happy with the Louet and bought herself a Jensen, so they have two wheels in the house. We're covered there. Robin wheels are works of art and the waiting list is two years, last time I heard. They are "gently used" but work like charms and Gilbert looks them over for me when I take them to shows.


Mattie is working hard looking for a job. He is going for an interview on Wednesday for a woodworking job. $10 an hour - ouch. This is not New Jersey. I tell him the way things are now he is only good for sex and heavy lifting so he better consider it. At least it is steady and indoors. He agrees. I secretly want him to give up the construction trade as it is deleterious to one's health. The social historian in me is incredulous at the way construction workers have been exploited post-industrialization. Sucking up toxins, abusing the joints, going deaf from heavy equipment noise, getting knocked on the head, etc. I could go on and on. Carpenters were held in high esteem during colonial times. Now they are just bodies to abuse. I figure a carpenter uses all nine of Howard Gardner's multiple intelligences, but very few earn a decent wage.

No comments: