Thursday, February 15, 2007

After the Storm


Good thing I wrote that sweet Valentine post yesterday...today it is more like, "MATT!! Get your butt out of bed!! Come in the barn - I need you!" Yesterday's Valentine is sleeping in and, to my horror, has turned off the monitor so he can't hear what is going on in the barn. I wade through four foot drifts to go back to the trailer and find out if he is #1 dead, or #2 almost dead, which would be the only two good excuses for turning off the monitor. I get a lame, "The roosters were driving me insane." Not good enough...he wants me to linger but by now I am so annoyed it's impossible.

My prolapsed ewe is showing signs of pink again. I examine her and she is only one fingertip dilated - no lambs coming yet. We will have to put another, tighter harness on her. Dulce is yelling to get out of the jug - a good sign. Her lambs are looking good so the one udder is producing enough milk for them both. I will continue to offer the lambs the bottle to relieve the pressure for her to produce.

Here is Mattie, looking cute in his Carhartts and Fingerlakes Fiber Festival cap and sweatshirt, smiling and funny, ready to shovel. I guess I will keep him.

No comments: