Wednesday, November 10, 2010

We've Got Eggs!


I got 15 eggs today, five less than yesterday. The new young hens are starting to lay eggs, despite the light diminishing. Egg laying is directly related to the amount of light chickens receive. Lights are kept on all the time in chicken factories, but not here. We go au-natural. I'm happy the girls are giving me such wonderful eggs. I think I will sit down with some of Kimmie Cornerstone's lovely, fancy organic tea. She is a tea lover and gives me fabulous, obscure brands of tea in pretty containers. Work today was fine, with a bright sunshine coming in the big windows of my classroom. Too bad, with the time change I don't get to enjoy very much of it by the time I get home. I was worried about the runaway goaties all day, then, to my delight, they came down the hill single file, walking very slowly, as I came out the north door to the barn after arriving home. Maybe they waited for me. As the sheep ran up the hill, the goats came in to the barn. I gave them sweet feed to thank them for coming home. I noticed my sick buck kid joining in and was relieved to see him bouncing back. Baby Thunder seems a little perkier after worming, but is not 100%. My F150 needed a Fuel Rail Sensor Module, and a clean fuel filter, according to the two automotive technicians who worked on it today. I should get the truck back on Friday. My ugly little $1,700 Dodge Caravan, purchased after Matt totaled my Jeep with a deer last fall, is running like a charm. I'm used to driving the big truck, and looked at the speedometer this morning and saw that I was doing 80 mph with no effort at all. I would surely lose my license if I drove it every day. There are no local police around here, and the State police rarely drive the back roads I commute on, but still...I don't want to dirty my sterling driving record. The washer is still broken and I'm hoping the hot water heater will give me a steamy bath in the morning. I may be wearing dirty clothes, but I still need my ritual bath where I soak these weary bones. The sky was so lovely tonight while I was poking around the barnyard doing chores. The waxing gibbous moon was a pretty, gold, glowing silhouette next to the towering silo on the north side. My resident owl was entertaining me with her whoooo-whoooo-whoooo. There is a new planet in the northeastern sky just over the tips of the pines on top of the ridge, twinkling and orangey. Have to look it up. I don't have a copy of the NY Times to check it out. Wish I had one of those sky phones that you point at the constellations and it tells you what it is. The only people I know who have them are city people. Too bad.

No comments: