Friday, November 05, 2010

Black Gold


Stan the Man has been cleaning out my barn with his son and their fabulous heavy equipment. Five years of hay combined with manure has turned into a hard pack that is growing and growing. It was fine for the sheep but I had to walk around bent over - no fun when you are doing chores. Enter Stan, a dairy farmer neighbor, who I met through Shepherd Mary. Stan's son works the smaller machine with the forks that stabs the pack, breaks it up, then scoops it into the manure spreader AKA poop wagon. Stan pulls it away with the tractor and spreads it on the fields. There is no better, more natural and gentle fertilizer than composted hay and manure. Fall is the perfect time to spread the stuff. The rain and snow will melt the poop and it will seep into the pasture before spring and awakening of the fields. I have so much composted manure I don't have enough acreage to spread it on. Wish there was some way I could package this black gold and sell it. Hmmmmmm....

1 comment:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Awesome -bet it looks HUGe in the barn :)

HUGS
Kim and crew