Thursday, November 11, 2010

Cooking Four C Soup With Lizzy


I had several cauliflowers that needed cooking NOW and 10 pounds of carrots left from the farmer's market. I found a frozen whole chicken in the freezer and decided to make one more pot of soup. Lizzy found the activity very interesting and decided to "help" me. Oh, this "Four C" soup is intoxicating. Sadly, I am the only one who will eat it. Last night I said "tonight is a good night for my homemade soup." Matt, to my dismay, went in the cabinet and found a can of Progresso Manhattan Clam Chowder...and then he asked me to heat it for him. His loss! How watery and lacking of character (the soup, not Matt). Anyway, here is my recipe for Maggie's Farm Four C Soup.

Ingredients:

One whole chicken, can be frozen
Big bag of carrots, sliced in one inch chunks, skin left on
One cabbage, cut in wedges then sliced
Four or five heads of cauliflower
Six large onions
Two quarts of water
Two tablespoons dill weed
Two tablespoons Herbes de Provence
One tablespoon Muchi Curry
Two tablespoons Hains Sea Salt
Two tablespoons Veggie Pepper
Two cups of white wine (optional but I recommend it!)


Simmer chopped onions in enough olive oil to cover until translucent
Add two quarts of water and the whole chicken
Add salt, pepper, spices, wine and stir
Bring to a boil, turn down the gas and simmer, stirring often, for an hour or until the chicken falls off the bones with a fork.
Remove chicken, slice off the meat and return it to the soup.
Pound the bones to bits and give to the kitties.
I double bag the soup when cooled and freeze it for the winter. This soup is loaded with vitamins and minerals that will help keep colds and flu away. It is delicious with saltine crackers and apple juice.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Tiggeriffic said...

I can smell it from here because I have chicken soup simmering on the stove. Yum Yum...
There's something healing about eating chicken soup especially in the winter time when it's cold...
I like eating it when I have a bad cold.. knock on wood, I have no cold and well keep healthy all winter long.. wash my hands,,wash my hands,, keep hands away from face...that should do it if I remember. ta ta for now from Iowa.. cloudy with a chance of rain/snow.

Tiggeriffic said...

I can smell it from here because I have chicken soup simmering on the stove. Yum Yum...
There's something healing about eating chicken soup especially in the winter time when it's cold...
I like eating it when I have a bad cold.. knock on wood, I have no cold and well keep healthy all winter long.. wash my hands,,wash my hands,, keep hands away from face...that should do it if I remember. ta ta for now from Iowa.. cloudy with a chance of rain/snow.