Friday, February 01, 2008

Time to Weigh In



Finally - a scale. There it was in the half-price bin at Homestead Feed. I had been asking Santa Claus for a lamb scale for years. It's very helpful to know how heavy lambs are at birth, and how much weight they are gaining. This nifty little scale, combined with Jan's carry-bag are just what I needed. I found a newborn at 3 AM this morning. Bluetag, an aged ewe and Lilly's mother (Lilly has MFS status - Most Favorite Sheep)gave me a 10 pound ewe lamb. I will name her Brigit, in honor of St. Brigit. The Celtic pagan holiday of Ewesmilk was turned into a day to honor St. Brigit, patron saint of mother's in childbirth (kind of makes sense) by the Christians. Bluetag is one of my Founding Mothers from Lisa Rodenfel's farm in Ohio. She has another name that has been lost to follow-up. Her ear tag, since fallen off, was blue, so we called her Bluetag. Mother and babe doing well. Bluetag is hereby retired! She has surely done her duty.

No comments: